Ruthlessness is the light side of self pity. Seemingly an oxymoron, the use of this word means that you will ruthlessly protect your aliveness. It is like “putting your own oxygen mask on first” in order to stay alive so that you can be in service to yourself and others. It never means acting ruthlessly towards others. The “woe is me” language of self pity has resulted from becoming an empty vessel having given your energy to others. Self pity results in drained, ineffective behavior.
I guess I am ruthless too because that’s what makes a great artist. But I also respect people; I don’t go around stepping on their heads. –Julian Schnabe
I always like to reveal the fact that the emperor has no clothes. And children are best at that. They teach us how to see the world in that sense. They are without artifice; they see it for what it is. I am drawn to that ruthless honesty. -Mira Nair
Questions to ask
- Where do I need to ruthlessly protect my energy today?
- Do I feel more power over my energy when I am ruthless?
- What can I do to express this ruthlessness effectively?
- How does dedication, coaching, participate fully, collaborative, kind and compassion relate to ruthlessness?
- What does ruthlessness feel like energetically? Notice it: experience that feeling.
To learn more about our Clarity words and using them to make a difference in your daily life, click HERE for a schedule of upcoming classes.